Monday, February 28, 2011

Fourth Estate + One

I am happy to report that there is another blog now covering the Hermosa Beach school district financial problems:

Save Hermosa Schools

Russ, the blogger, has a more sober straight forward approach than mine. That is good. Hopefully between us the voters of Hermosa Beach will be able to find something they like.

I glanced at the numbers he has for the current Hermosa Beach City School District budget. I have been casually looking for these numbers for a week, but I could not find them on the official school district site for some reason. I have not dug into the data, but it looks to me like the school district will be short by $133,000 this year?  Are we seriously calling this a problem? The leaders of Hermosa Beach can't figure out how to patch a $133,000 hole? That is only 1/5th of the Dog Catcher Budget!

Problem Solved

There are 7000 parcels and about 10,000 housing units in Hermosa Beach (please note that I am not even addressing the obligation of the business community, yet). So correct me if my math is wrong, but if we had a TAX (there, I said the T-word) of $13.30 per home or apartment per year, there would be no problem?

This almost seems like a joke to me. Nobody could be seriously considering allowing the value of the average home to fall by $150,000 or more (see studies in previous blog posts) in order to save $13 per year, could they?


Hermosa Beach City Council
Peter Tucker Mayor peter@electpetertucker.com
Howard Fishman Mayor Pro Tempore kkfish@earthlink.net
Jeff Duclos Councilmember jeff@jeffduclos.com
Patrick "Kit" Bobko Councilmember kit.bobko@gmail.com
Michael DiVirgilio Councilmember mdivir@gmail.com


Councilmembers' phone number (310) 318-0216
Councilmembers' fax number (310) 372-6186


-

No comments: