Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Hermosa Beach Schools

Gifted And Talented (GATE) Not Welcome?


Hermosa Beach does not participate in the California GATE Program.  GATE stands for Gifted and Talented Education.

Manhattan Beach and Redondo Beach, our neighboring communities where students from Hermosa Beach go to High School, both have GATE Programs.  I have heard that Hermosa Beach students who may have been advanced when they were young have a difficult time transitioning to advanced programs in High School.  They are behind because Hermosa Beach does not adequately educate them.

If you have heard similar stories, I would like to hear them.  If you have concerns, let me know.  If you would like to remain anonymous, I will keep your name out of it.

If you see me at Hermosa View or Hermosa Valley, feel free to talk to me off the record.  Or on the record.  I think this is an embarrassing state of affairs, and it needs to be fixed.

Keith Hemstreet

No comments: