Thursday, October 29, 2009

Jeff Duclos' Response to My Previous Critical Post

Please see my post on Duclos to get the history.  In a nutshell, I sent him an email with questions and received no reply.  I sent similar information to Joy at Pure, Unadulterated Joy.  Jeff Duclos then responded on her blog to the email he never received.  The first I heard about Jeff Duclos' response was from Joy about 90 minutes ago in a post she made on this blog.  As I added to my original post on Jeff Duclos, I was wrong in my speculation on his receiving tax payer paid health insurance from CSUN or from his wife's job as a teacher, and I apologize for that.  The mystery of why Ron and D Williams Groups shows up when I try to sign up for his newsletter still stands.  And the issue of him citing a 2006 Daily Breeze endorsement when the Daily Breeze does not endorse him in this election still stands (Daily Breeze Endorsements).

Below is Jeff Duclos' response:


"Thanks for the opportunity to respond.

I did not get your email, Keith. If you don't mind, please resend it to my jeff@jeffduclos.com address so I can make sure there is not a problem there.

To your questions: I currently have basic HMO coverage which I pay for. I am only a part time instructor, so I don't get the health care package offered full time Cal State staff. I'd love to have fully paid health care for myself and my family. I do not give this benefit up lightly. I can assure you, my wife is not happy about my decision. But it is not right to do so. To accept these overblown benefits at the taxpayers expense would make me another part of the problem, of a system that is over-compensating senior staff and attracting people to city government for the wrong reasons.
My pledge to serve my community has nothing to do with acquiring paid benefits or political career building. It's about contributing to building a better city and giving back to Hermosa Beach for the life it has afforded my family for 30 years. That's the way the best of our council members from the pat looked at the job. We are about to have three new School Board members taking on a very tough and often thankless job. They are receiving no compensation. But I should ask for paid health care, a car allowance and retirement benefits for a position that is not, by definition, a career job?

As to your last question, I use a system called Constant Contact to distribute my email newsletters and messages. It is very efficient and affordable, but you do have to accept some advertising. I'll look into this company you mention. I was not aware of it on the email and thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Jeff"

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Keith, I've been to busy to respond to this. Again, Jeff wrote you directly. He didn't respond on my blog to you- but you directly.

I've had a virus on my computer, but will forward you the emails. I would really like you to be factual because this is a very important election and you're obviously trying to get the word out as much as possible - be fair.

Thanks.
JOY

Keith Hemstreet said...

Joy,
Thanks for the forwarded email. I see my email address there. I am willing to give the benefit of the doubt here, but my statements were factual. I have never received a direct response from Jeff Duclos. As unlikely as it sounds, he didn't receive my email, and I did not receive his. I think I have been more than fair in the way I have handled this very unlikely scenario. I think it is a dead issue now.

Thanks,
Keith